Total Pageviews

Friday 13 January 2012

Burgos to Hontanas. 43,300. Woke early today and had a few cups of tea in the albergie and managed to fit my protesting feet into my boots then left Burgos at about 9am after breakfast of Spanish omelet with ham and cheese in the city by the cathedral. It's soooo cold I have all of my clothes on and two hats,every fountain I pass is frozen too, when I reached the city limits visibility was very little and I seem to be walking into a freezing fog cloud everything's in a suspended animation, every plant seems to be frozen and it's almost eery.I reach a town called tardajos a few hours latter and the sun finally breaks through I decide to have a break on a bench facing the sun and a little old lady appears from her house to join me she brings me an apple.and a wine bottle filled with water and we chat for about an hour together me talking in English and her in Spanish neither of us understanding the other but both happy to share this bench and the sunshine,I finish my break and say goodbye and walk onto the next village a few ks away here I take my shoes and socks off and let my throbbing feet have a well.earnt Sun bath. Here I decide ti push onto the next village about 8ks on called Honillas del Camino up and over a huge hill as it's beautiful and warm I stop.at the top and have another sun bath for my feet and then descend to the village below,only to find it like a ghost village with no shops or bars just the albergie that's like a bomb shelter with a temperature of a fridge!!.
I deside not to stay here ad I'm hungry and push on another 10ks to Hontanas as it's now 5:10 I know I will get there after 7 and in the dark its up and down a few hills and getting cold, every time I stop my hip muscles are locking up.it was pick black with no moon by the time I reach the village and luckily enough there is a bar and they make me some lovely food.I'm so tired I can hardly eat it but do as I feel ravenous and then I go and have a great shower in the only albergie open.the place is freezing inside with no heating and luckily only two other pilgrims staying here tonight so I wrap myself up inside my sleeping bag with two thick blankets for warmth take a couple of ibruprofens and dome valerian tincture and soon fall fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment